What is Maskne?
How Does My Mask Cause Breakouts?
• The friction from the mask irritates the skin barrier.
• Hot moisture from breathing gets trapped underneath the mask, which dilates the pores, allowing oil and bacteria to clog them. Once the pores are clogged, they become inflamed and lead to breakouts.
How Can I Tell The Difference Between Maskne and Regular Breakouts?
• You can identify maskne as tiny, shallow whiteheads rather than deep, painful bumps (those are caused by hormones).
• Maskne can also be identified by location. It won't be right over your mouth where you breathe, it will be more along the lines of where your mask makes contact with your skin. This would be along the chin, on the cheeks and across the bridge of the nose.
How Can I Treat My Maskne and Avoid Future Maskne Breakouts?
• First, you must make sure to always wear a clean mask.
• If you are using cloth masks, remember to wash them frequently. Especially if you wear them while exercising, wash them everyday. If you are using disposable or paper masks, let them air out for at least 24 hours before reusing them.
• To treat existing maskne, always wash your face with clean hands before and after wearing a mask.
• We recommend washing your face using your fingertips and a gentle cleanser with salicylic acid that won't strip the skin of its protective oils.
• Limit the amount used around the mouth area to avoid irritation.
• Avoid abrasive scrubs and use an exfoliating mask just once a week. Professional aesthetician recommendations are :
• Use a lightweight, fragrance free moisturizer in the morning, like Jan Marini Transformation Cream or PCAskin ReBalance, with ingredients like glycerin and niacinamide to help strengthen the skin barrier and use a night cream, our skin care lovers favorite Heal night moisturizer and neck cream,before bed to restore hydration (especially after using an exfoliating mask).
• Pat skin dry with a clean towel and finish with a hydrating lip balm or lip serum to minimize chapping. We love Henne Organics Luxury Lip Balm.
• Wait at least 15 minutes after you wash your face before putting on your mask.
• What Am I Risking If My Maskne Goes Untreated?
• If left untreated, the mask (which is a breeding ground for yeast and bacteria) could lead to infections that then require a prescription medication to clear it up.